Saturday 12 May 2012

Coffee Cake and Mocha Pudding

There's been a lot of talk about coffee flavoured cake at the forum recently, including some stunning looking coffee cupcakes that one member posted a photo of. Rhonda has a lovely recipe here but as she says it's no good for any-one on a diet so I had to think about something lighter. As with the whole orange cake recipe I wanted to be able to use the food processor as it makes baking so much quicker and easier for me these days(of achy arms).




You'll need.....

225gms of sugar
75gms walnuts

Blitz these together until they are fine and add

150gms of soft butter
3 eggs
2T strong cold coffee

once they are smooth add

225gms (wholemeal) flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
and just enough plain yogurt or milk to make a nice thick batter.

Bake at 180C for 50-60 minutes and then ice or decorate as you prefer.

I made a simple icing with 3/4 cup sifted icing sugar(I dropped the bag on the floor at this stage and had to stop and sweep and mop before I could continue!), 2T cocoa powder, 1T soft butter and just enough cold coffee to have an icing that would coat the back of a spoon.

Earlier in the week I saw a fancy French recipe in a library book that looked delicious. Joe had left a large mug of sweet milky coffee so I warmed it in a small saucepan, mixed together 3teaspoons of cornflour and a splash of milk and used the whisk to make a thick sauce. I added 1T of cocoa powder to give it a mocha flavour and served half of it hot one night and then let the other chill overnight...it was like "Instant Pudding" but much better or like an old fashioned blanc-mange and I really will be making lots of more of this.
Sorry about the fuzzy photo here...and I sprinkled a little coconut on the set dessert.


I'm not sure what the weekend holds, Paul is going to phone regarding a Mother's Day surprise for me(oh dear) and I know I will see my Mum briefly before she plays golf with Dad.
I do hope that you are able to spend time with your familyand  friends too, that's really all that counts....
.....no need for fancy new sports cars or jewelry ;)

Bye bye for now,
Love from Sue
xx

1 comment:

  1. Pudding is also good in chocolate flavor with the chocolate sprinkle.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete